Dan mostly represents companies doing business in emerging market countries. Dan prides himself on his international network, which he maintains through constant communication and travel.
Dan writes and speaks extensively on Chinese law, with a focus on protecting foreign businesses in their China operations. Dan co-authors the award-winning China Law Blog, which focuses on assisting foreign companies doing business in China. Along with Steve Dickinson (who is based in Asia), Dan co-manages the firm's Asia law practice.
Dan has been designated a “Super Lawyer”, an honor given to less than five percent of all attorneys in any state. Along with Harris & Moure attorney Steve Dickinson, Dan was also named as one of only three “Washington State Amazing Lawyers” in International Law and both Martindale-Hubbell and AVVO have awarded him their highest ratings. Forbes Magazine, BBC News, The Wall Street Journal, The Washington Post, The Economist, The National Law Journal, Fox News, CNBC, BBC World, and many others have looked to Dan for his perspective on international law issues.
Dan spends his free time working out and listening to BBC World and to Bruce Springsteen. Dan was born in Kalamazoo, Michigan, and he grew up there and in Aix-en-Provence, France and in Istanbul, Turkey.
- Grinnell College (B.A., 1981)
- Indiana University (J.D., magna cum laude, 1984)
- Order of the Coif
- Managing Editor, Indiana Law Journal, 1983-84
- Highest Grade Award in Constitutional Law, Criminal Law, Antitrust Law,
and Law and Economics
- Robert Koleji, Istanbul, Turkey, 1977
- China's Slowdown and Your Business, Wall Street Journal, September 5, 2012
- Suing Chinese Companies: The New Wave, Bloomberg Law Reports, 2011.
- Registering Trademarks in China, Practical China Tax and Finance Strategies, 2010
- Four Tips to Avoid Breaking the Law in China, Advertising Age, February 10, 2010
- A China That Can Say 'No,' Asia Legal Business, February 1, 2010
- In China, Piracy is no Excuse, The Conference Board Review, Winter, 2010
- Chinese Companies Court Disaster, Wall Street Journal, August 18, 2010
- Best 10 Books On China, Forbes, December 22, 2009
- The return of joint ventures, The American Chamber of Commerce in the People's Republic of China, October 20, 2009
- China Joint Venture Jeopardy, Wall Street Journal, June 25, 2007
- "Basic Steps to Protect Your China Operations," Vancouver Business, 2007
- China's Trademark Laws -- Simple and Effective, China Trade Law Report, September, 2006
- "Better Legal Billing", Entrepreneur.com, September 6, 2001
- "Joint and Several Liability With a New Twist," Barrister, Winter 1993
- "Transport of Waste in Dispute," National Law Journal, February 15, 1993
- "Avoiding Joint and Several Liability," Environmental Reporter, November 6, 1992
- Contributing author of the China Law Blog
- Doing Business in China, Economist Magazine Business Forum, 2012.
- Basics of China Law for Business, Wharton China Business Forum, 2012.
- Five Things Every SME Should Know About China, AmCham China Small Business Forum, 2011.
- Avoiding and Winning China Disputes, Offshore Investment Conference, Shanghai, 2011.
- China Companies Going Outward, Foreign Correspondents' Club of China, 2011.
- International Law - Asia, Alaska Bar Association, 2011.
- International Litigation, Washington State Bar Association International Practice Section, 2011.
- Litigating Against Chinese Companies, National Business Institute, 2011.
- Legal Aspects of China Business, The China Business Network, 2011.
- Handling The Big Media International Case, University of Washington, 2011.
- Doing Business in China, Commonwealth Club of San Francisco, April, 2010
- Building Brands in Asia, Berkeley Asia Business Conference 2010
- Litigating and Arbitrating Against Chinese Defendants, Chinese Drywall Conference, New Orleans, 2009
- "China Litigation and Arbitration", Managing the Risks of Manufacturing in China, Las Vegas, 2008
- "What Every Lawyer Must Know About China Law", Alaska Bar Association, 2008
- Collecting on Foreign Judgments in China, International Debt Collection, Los Angeles Bar Association, 2008
- The Eight Yins and Yangs of China Business Law, Plastics Industry Executive Forum, Orlando, Florida, 2008
- Under China's Digital Influence, Beijing American Chamber of Commerce, Beijing, China, 2007
- Managing Risks Associated with Chinese Products, Loss Control Executive Forum in Orlando, Florida, and also at Mealey's Product Liabilty Conference in Washington, D.C.
- "The Practice of International Law", Indiana University School of Law, 2004
- "International Asset Seizures", Korean Judge's Conference, Pusan, Korea, 2003
- CNBC Power Lunch on Google's China Issues, 2010
- Fox News (International Jurisdiction, multiple times, 2005-2007)
- Fox Report (International Jurisdiction, multiple times 2005-2007)
- Yukos Bankruptcy Dispute in Russia, CBC Report on Business
- Reuters 2011 interview regarding the end of cheap China
- LBXN 2012 interview regarding the Apple-Proview Trademark Dispute
- Taped Seminar on Doing Business in China
- Video interview with the American Chamber of Commerce China
- Radio Australia (Japan, 2010)
- BBC World Have Your Say (2007 and 2009 on China)
Alaska, Illinois (inactive), Washington, and American Bar Associations, Chinese Civil Law Forum. Former President of the King County Bar Association International Law Committee.
- Some Russian
- Some Turkish
- China Law
- Vietnam Law
- International Law
- International and Domestic Litigation